+20 1221 684 820 +20 1221 684 820 info@sharky-redsea.com
+20 1221 684 820 +20 1221 684 820 info@sharky-redsea.com

A bit of history: since antiquity, dolphins are the stars of mythology, literature and more recently cinema and cartoons. The man has a boundless admiration for the dolphins. Gentile, intelligent, dolphins are considered the equal of man or as a companion and benevolent companion who sometimes saves us from drowning. But are not these ideas received, tinted with anthropomorphism, which serve the interests of men? Indeed, it is astonishing to note that with all the admiration we have for the dolphins we are not in a position to preserve them as it should. Greek mythology frequently refers to dolphins. They appear in texts but also on frescoes from the fifteenth century BC. J. C.

Cooperation between man and dolphins: the first dolphin stories helping man for fishing date from Pliny the Elder. These cooperations still exist. In different oceans of the world the dolphins corner the fish and tell the fishermen when to cast their hawk. Dolphins are interested in this because they can easily recover the uncaught fish. Thanks to this cooperation, men and dolphins find their way.
The threats:

The dolphins share their environment with the man, present along the coast, but also offshore when engaged in fishing and sailing. This human presence has consequences for the survival of marine species.

Chemicals: dolphins are particularly affected by chemical pollution; They are top predators because they are at the top of the food chain. Pollutants accumulate along this chain; The prey on which they feed is, therefore, already greatly contaminated at this stage. The pollutants thus accumulated by the dolphins cause adverse effects on their immune systems and fertility.

Noise: For dolphins, sound is vital because it is essential to move, communicate and feed. As a result, noise can disturb them, interfere with their activities, cause them injury, or even be fatal. The main sources of noise at sea are: maritime traffic, oceanographic prospecting, military training and testing, shipyards on the shore.
Incidental catches: A significant proportion of the animals found dead have external injuries corresponding to those caused by fishing nets (pelagic trawl and gillnets).

Solid Waste: This waste can be dangerous to dolphins because it can cause serious injuries and sometimes even death in animals that get caught or swallowed. Approximately 80% of marine debris is reported to be of land origin, while the remaining 20% ​​is produced during offshore activities. The majority of the debris consists of plastics and synthetics. (Plastic bags, cigarette butts, balloons, ropes, pieces of nets, packaging of food products, etc.).

Captivity: For many years, cetaceans have been captured at sea and kept in captivity to amuse the general public, conduct research or, more recently, close „therapeutic“ contacts with human beings. To keep in captivity cetaceans which, in their natural environment, traverse kilometers per day is an atrocity. From methods of capture to transport to confinement, all this constitutes acts of barbarism. Their normal life expectancy is reduced to a few years in captivity. We can only recommend you not to frequent the dolphinariums. Captive cetaceans are stuffed with antibiotics and die prematurely. Some dolphins even go so far as to commit suicide.

Leave a Reply

More

We provide weekly dives, choose from the Agenda your favorite day to reserve the boat, you have the availability to choose who will come with you on the boat, don’t forget that maximum persons per boat is 25 persons, it is yours now!.

Book your boat now.

Neueste Kommentare